Luxembourg?

The “Dad story” took on a new life last night. For the past two months, I’ve been sitting on a very rough draft not sure how to proceed. The Hobbled Wife has been bugging me to post the story to the Minnesota Historical Society’s Greatest Generation site, but I’ve hadn’t really considered her suggestion too seriously. I always figured I would post it there – after it was complete, but I wasn’t really taking steps to complete the story. Yesterday, I finally started messing around on the site, and it inspired me. Now I feel like I have an audience to write for and a reason to edit the darn thing into a presentable format.

Yesterday, while messing around on the site, I found this story about a guy in the same infantry division as my father. They both took different routes to the same place, as my father started out in the Army Air Force, and this guy was Army Infantry from the beginning. For that reason their state-side training experiences were different, but they both landed in Le Havre about the same time, and were engaged in battle around the same time. My favorite quote from this gentleman’s story:

“We ended up in Luxemburg, a country I never knew existed.”

Comments

Popular Posts