Metaphysical Meteorology

Driving down Cleveland Ave to preschool this morning, we saw two women in full religious dress, suggestive of a burqa. Looking for an opportunity to educate (that’s the kind of parent I am); I pointed them out to Bones. I allowed us to speculate whether they might be ninjas - covered all in black - but then I explained that they wore those clothes for religious reasons. “They dress like that because of how they believe in God,” was how I put it.

“Wow, Mom sure wouldn’t dress like that. She doesn’t believe that,” said the Bones. “I wouldn’t dress like that but I still believe in God,” he said.

Cute for sure, but considering we never take him to church, kind of interesting. I think he and his buddies have been talking about God lately.

Then out of the blue he asks, “What does God do during a tornado?”

“Well,” I respond - making it up as I go along, “God makes tornadoes.”

“No,” he says, “God doesn’t make tornados. The rain and the clouds make tornadoes. They get tired and mad of being rain all the time so they bunch together, get all twisted up, and then make tornadoes.”

“What does God do then?” I ask.

“He watches, and sometimes punches the tornadoes to make them stop.”

I like that - “sometimes” - not always. Suggests a little “free will”.

Comments

Popular Posts